Friday, July 11, 2014

The Beginnings of My First Quilt

This is my first attempt at making a quilt. Or anything involving fabric or sewing for that matter. I hope it meets all of my dreams and expectations when I finally finish it!
I started out with 2 yards of maroon and white fabric and 4 yards of orange from JoAnn Fabric. Luckily I found it when it was 50% off!
The most tedious task I have encountered so far is making all the measurements and cuts to get these perfect squares and rectangles. 
Here are my measurements in case anyone would like to make this pattern:
42 white and 42 maroon rectangles 2.5x9”; 42 white and 42 maroon rectangles 2.5x5”; 21 orange and 21 maroon squares 5x5”

After I finished cutting out all of my pieces, I started sewing two of the sides onto the center square. The orange squares will have a maroon border and the maroon squares will have a white border. I’m only sewing half of the border on to start with so I can iron it before I complete the block.
This is also my first experience with a sewing machine. All was going well but of course a problem occurred after just half an hour of use. After 2 phone calls to home and watching a YouTube video, I fixed the problem and continued on.


This is what the final orange square with maroon border looks like. 1 down, 41 more to go.




1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing a great job. I do have some blocks from a project you started a few years ago though. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete